Monday, February 11, 2008

Good Eats ...

Yes I know, this should be the post re-capping our fun day on Friday at Playhouse Disney LIVE. It was very fun, very special and full of memories ... but I'm too tired to upload photos and such, so maybe tomorrow?

In the mean time I thought I would quickly share three new recipes from this past week that have all been hits in our household.

We've really tried to cut back eating out, which wasn't a huge thing for us, but was a weekly occurance. I finally figured out that if I am armed with at least 5 good recipes for the week and the groceries to make them I'm a lot less tempted to eat out. Thank goodness for my Rachael Ray Everyday subscription, good friends recommendations and Allrecipes.com!

First, from Kelly's blog a few weeks ago:

"The Chicken Stuff that Becca Made"
1 package Uncle Ben's Long Grain Wild Rice
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed (I used Kirkland Canned Chicken)
French's fried onions (I used Tim's Cascade Maui Onion chips)

Prepare rice as directed. Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan, blend in flour. Gradually add milk & stir until thickened. Add cheese and lemon juice, stirring until melted. Add chicken & rice to sauce in a 9x9 pan. Top with onions. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Enjoy!!

Second, not from Kelly, but inspired by a dish I remember her mom making:

Three Meat Stromboli (or what I would call pizza bread). I cut the recipe down to 8 servings (love that you can do that on allrecipes) and pretty much stuck to the recipe. We served it with pizza sauce on the side for dipping. Oh and I used Rhodes White Bread Frozen bread dough.

Lastly, joining Kelly (are you my cooking buddy or what?!?) in a qwest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe, I tried two over the past two weeks from allrecipes and this one won ...

Oddly enough it's called "Best Chocolate Chip Cookies" ... and they really are. If you like chewy and soft cookies, with a slight crunch to the edges. I followed the recipe with the exception of only using 1C chips, weird I know, but I don't like them oozing with chocolate. I use my Pampered Chef cookie scoop and got almost 4 dozen from the recipe. I cooked them on my AirBake pan on my SilPat for 13.5 minutes. Now I'm not a cooking snob or anything, I'm just telling you what I did ... as to help you reach near perfection (not that I am perfect, we're talking about the recipe here, okay?) with these cookies.

Alright ... enjoy!! Sorry I don't have pictures ... I'll try to do better next time I share.

Stay tuned tomorrow for something I'd like to call, Two Tote Tuesday!

Happy Monday!
(P.S. Jess, I'm so happy you made it back to me! ::MWAH::)

3 comments:

Princess Jessie Pants said...

1st to comment!! And...I see that your last post has 12 comments - way to go! :)

Like the recipes - maybe I'll try one soon...or next summer... :)

Bethany said...

I'm going to have to give those all a try. Chocolate chip cookies are my FAV. I found a pretty darn good recipe, but I'm going to have to give these a try.

Kelly said...

We really are channeling each other these days aren't we? :) We too are trying to cut back on eating out so I've been trying out some new recipes. :)
I'm going to try those chocolate chip cookies this week. Or next since I just filled up the cookie jar with oatmeal. I do like the ones Bethany mentioned but I'll try these too.