Monday, October 26, 2009

Fall decorating ...

Well this took a few more days than I thought ...

So I had been itching to get out my fall decorations ever since September rolled around, but with our LONG Indian summer, it just didn't feel right. I waited all the way until the first of October to ready the house for fall.

I love this time of year ...

I love decorating our house for fall ... almost as much as I love decorating it for Christmas.

A few "tricks" I've picked up over my years of gathering my decorations ...
  • I like to limit myself to purchasing one new decoration each holiday and try to only buy it if it really grabs me ... do you know what I mean? When you see something and you can instantly picture it in your home adding to your space (versus just filling it up) making you and your family happy.
  • I like to create at least one new decoration each year. This year it is my Halloween themed "Whirly Gig Table Runner." I have a few more I want to make, but we all know how that goes ...
  • I try to purge those items that I no longer love and feel like they are just filling up space. I never spend a fortune on my decorations, so they are usually easy to part with. As I've grown and matured as a homeowner/maker I've started to recognize a style that I think will be more permanent for me.
  • Less is usually more ... for me. I don't want my house to feel different, I just want to enhance it, bring in some fun, some warmth and some visual reminders of this season/holidays.
With that ... here are the pictures ~






















Our fireplace/mantle ... decorated with "Give Thanks" garland created last year, various pumpkins (including our new light up one :) and my newest purchase, Happy Harvest blocks. I probably could have made these, but for the price ($12.99) I probably would have come out even and there is a good chance it would un-finished. Lastly is the basket filled with Halloween/Fall books.




































With the addition of my beautiful sofa table (thank you talented husband) I have a new little area to decorate. It's the perfect spot for the new table runner, a few pumpkins in my favorite bowl and a wooden pumpkin given to me by a friend many years ago which I still LOVE so much. The verse is always there, but I think switching it out would be fun (note to self).

Lastly I have the sweetest little welcome at my front door ... but guess what I forgot to take pictures of today ... boo! I'll have to do that and share tomorrow.

I have a few other touches of fall scattered through the house, but these are the main ones where we spend most of our time together.

Happy Monday!

5 comments:

summer said...

love it! you do such a nice job!

Princess Jessie Pants said...

Very nice!! Love the mantle.

Linda Barber said...

Yeah, you did share the photos of your decor! Thanks! Just beaut. And your wall colors are perfect Fall. That little runner is super darling.

Erin said...

love your fall decor! so fun! I'm partial to my glitter pumpkins. Thinking I need a give thanks banner too. Hmmm..maybe that will be my next project.

Megan said...

Hey! It looks cute! Next time you purge old decor check with me, I have a lot of space to fill and little to fill it with! :)