Friday, August 22, 2008

Goodbye ...

Nap, nap, nap-a-roo ...



There was never a child so lovely, but his mother was happy to get him to sleep.
~Emerson

I have no idea why I came up with the above saying, but I did and it stuck and I often tell Ethan it's time for a "nap, nap, nap-a-roo (I think it *might* have come from a line in "Happy Gilmore" that I changed to serve my purpose ... not a movie I'd typically quote to my child :). Anywho, are days of daily naps are finally coming to a close. I've long been a proponent of daily naps for small children. And by small I mean three and under for certain. It's good for the child and good for the mama.

Currently we're in a current catch 22 with naps around here ... while his little body still needs that afternoon catch up, if he takes a nap (which he will 80% of the time if he's in his bed) it throws off his evening bedtime by about 2 hours. So our new system is that he has "quiet time" in his room for about 45 minutes to an hour so that we both have a little time to ourselves. He can play or read or any other quiet activity as long as he stays in his room. The plus side of this is that he's ready for bed about 7:30 - 8:00PM and goes down without a fight and falls right to sleep. I have noticed about the third day of quiet time, he's just plain worn out and needs a nap (and I do to!). I now just plan a little more family time or activity in the evening to enjoy the later hour he gets to stay up with us.

SO there you have it ... the days of naps seem to be slipping away, but I suppose the timing couldn't be better as we head back to preschool in a few weeks and then to school days in the coming year.

**I couldn't resist a sleeping baby picture ... and one of my favorite quotes on motherhood. **

Happy Friday ... I hope you get a nap this weekend!!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

This is exactly the situation we've found ourselves in with Carson. We seem to have a lot (more) in common these days. :)

Bethany said...

What!?! You meant they stop taking naps!! Nobody told me!

Hah! Claire has her days (like yesterday) without naps, but I was truly hoping that all kids napped until they were 18. Oh well, guess we love them anyway...

Anonymous said...

We're in this same situation now too. If Ash takes a good nap it's hard to get her to bed but then like you said every few days she really needs to get one in.

Well at least this way naps are even more precious.